FARGO – The recent weather didn’t keep both Arnett basketball teams from traveling the road to Fargo to take on the Bearcats on Friday night, and after all was said and done, The Wildcats left town with a split.

The front end of the doubleheader featured the ladies, and saw Arnett’s Chelsea Word score 29 points in route to 60-44 Arnett victory.

The Wildcats came out strong on the defensive side of the ball, pressing frequently, and causing confusion among the Fargo offense. The Arnett pressure led to turnovers and the Wildcats jumped out to an early 9-3 lead.

The Bearcats clawed back by the end of the first quarter by playing their own brand of pressure defense.

Down 9-3 with just over four minutes left to go in quarter number one, the Bearcats began to press, forcing turnovers of their own eventually taking a 15-14 lead.

The lead wouldn’t last long however, thanks partly to the play of Arnett junior Kiley Holloway, who hit a three pointer at the end of the quarter, giving the Wildcats a 19-15 lead.

The second quarter saw the Wildcat lead grow due to the dominant inside play of Word, and success as a team from the free throw line, where the Wildcats shot a combined 14 of 20 in the first half. By halftime the Arnett lead was eight.

“ We played sloppy, we had way too many turnovers, but we played well in the third quarter,” said Arnett head coach Scott Friesen.

The second half was all Arnett. The Wildcats opened the half with a easy bucket when Word found Janel Mitchell under the basket for an easy put in. This sparked an 11-0 Arnett run that all but buried the Bearcats. By the end of three the Wildcat lead had swelled to 23 points. By the time the game was over the Bearcats had cut into the lead, but not enough to make a difference. When the final buzzer sounded the scoreboard read 60-44 with Arnett taking home the victory.

“When you turn the ball over, those are shots you don’t get to take,” said Fargo coach Richard Carney. “That’s what I disliked the most, and the girls know that.”

The boys tipped off following the conclusion of the girls game, and Fargo seized control of the game from the start winning easily 91-45.

Fargo opened the game with an 8-0 run that included two three pointers from Trey Long who recently returned to the Bearcat line up after recovering from a leg injury, and never looked back in cruising to a decisive victory.

The Bearcats executed well on both ends of the court and, at full strength, looked like the state tournament team that many believe them to be. Bearcat sophomore Ky Tune lead all scorers with 18 points and Fargo finished the game with six players in double figures.

“My kids played well, everyone shot the ball well,” said Fargo coach Allen Tune. “I didn’t expect a win like this against a team like Arnett.”

The Fargo boys remain undefeated and will play host to Follett (Texas) on Tuesday.

Trending Video

Recommended for you