History was made in Classic Bowl XX Saturday night.
For the first time in the game’s 20-year history, the teams went into overtime.
In the extra session, the East scored on its second play, then stopped the West on fourth down from the two-yard-line to record its second consecutive victory in the series, 14-7.
Co-MVPs of the East were Derek Lohmann of Alva and Kyle Jech of Kingfisher. West workhorse Ricky Jacques of Liberal, Kan. was the West MVP.
Using direct snaps to Jacques or a fullback, the West controlled much of the first half and took a 7-0 lead late in the first period.
A botched punt attempt set the West up on the 43-yard-line. Ten plays later Jacquez powered into the end zone from five yards out. Runs of nine and 13 yards by Jacques were key plays. Otha Douglas of Clinton kicked the extra point to make it 7-0.
The West had more chances courtesy of two East turnovers, but couldn’t mount another threat in the half.
The East began to find its offense late in the first half but one drive stalled and another ended on an interception by Turpin’s Alex Reed.
The second half, though, was dominated by the East offense.
An opening drive took 11 minutes off the clock as Jech completed four key passes and had a 10-yard run. But the West defense stiffened at the goal line and stopped the East drive on the one.
Unable to get out of trouble, the West punted.
Starting from the West 42, the East squad finished its drive this time as Lohmann had a big 18-yard run on his first carry and Kaleb Kemp hit Taylor Hopper for a key 12-yard gain.
On third down from the one, Lohmann powered in for the score. Jech’s extra point made it 7-7 with 7:25 left in the game.
Neither team did much the rest of regulation.
In overtime, the East had the ball first. Lohmann gained nine on first down, then scored on second down. Jech kicked the extra point for the 14-7 lead.
The West got close on its four plays from the 10, but couldn’t convert on a fourth and two, sparking the celebration by the winning East squad.
This Week's Circulars
- Laverne Tiger band earns awards at state fair contest
- Long-time veterinarian retires
- Murder charge filed in Aug. 15 death
- OSBI offers reward for information in 2020 Woodward murder
- Man dies in Ellis County wreck
- Putin grants Russian citizenship to Edward Snowden
- Spokesman: State Senate won’t consider grocery, income tax proposals
- Alva woman injured in accident near Cherokee
- Governor wants sales tax cut on groceries before spending coronavirus relief funds
- Lawmakers provide 'unprecedented' drought relief to farmers, ranchers
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.