Forty-one blocks. Eleven stop signs. Two trees. And a taser.

That’s what it took before the Woodward Police were able to end a pursuit Monday evening.

The pursuit began shortly after 10 p.m. Monday, when Ptl. James Rea witnessed a black Pontiac, driven by Paul Edward Gabler II, run a red light as it turned north on 9th Street from Main Street, Det. Lt. Chuck Wheeler said.

As Rea’s unit approached the suspect’s vehicle, Gabler turned west on Jefferson Avenue and then made a quick right turn into the alley between 9th and 10th Streets.

Rea followed Gabler north into the alley, Wheeler said, noting that Gabler had stopped in the alley and turned his lights off in an attempt to avoid detection.

However, he said when Rea pulled up behind the suspect car, Gabler switched his lights back on and sped out of the alley, turning west on Jackson Avenue.

Rea followed and witnessed Gabler run the stop sign at 9th Street and Jackson Avenue, Wheeler said. At this point, he said the officer activated his emergency equipment.

However, Gabler ignored the lights and sirens and led Rea on a chase that wound roughly southeast through residential streets in an area from 9th Street and Jackson Avenue to 1st Street and Webster Avenue, Wheeler said.

At that point, Gabler attempted a northward turn from Webster Avenue onto 1st Street, Wheeler said, noting that the suspect failed to negotiate the high speed turn.

“The suspect slid into a tree on the opposite side of the intersection,” he said.

But this didn’t end the pursuit, Wheeler said, explaining that as Rea’s police unit approached Gabler’s vehicle, Gabler reversed his vehicle and backed into the police unit, ramming the unit.

Gabler then drove through a trailer park at a high rate of speed before retracing some ground and returning to the area of 6th Street and Webster Avenue, Wheeler said.

From there Gabler made his way to 5th Street and Oklahoma Avenue, he said, where the suspect ran a roadblock that had been set up by Ptl. Dan Matthews.

The pursuit continued into a residential area south of Oklahoma Avenue, until Gabler failed to negotiate another turn at the intersection of East Walnut Avenue and East 1st Street, Wheeler said.

“The vehicle spun out 180 degrees in the middle of the roadway,” he said, noting that the vehicle then reversed into another tree.

But while the suspect’s vehicle had finally come to a stop, Wheeler said the chase was not over. Refusing to give up, Gabler led Rea on a brief foot chase down a nearby alley, he said.

The pursuit finally ended when Rea deployed his taser, striking Gabler in the back and causing him to fall to the ground, Wheeler said.

Rea had to activate the taser a second time to get Gabler to place his hands behind his back so he could be handcuffed, he said.

Once handcuffed, though, Wheeler said Gabler was transported and booked into Woodward County Jail without further incidence.

“(Gabler) said he ran because he had a suspended driver’s license,” Wheeler said.

In addition to charges of driving under suspension, the 39-year-old Gabler is now facing charges of DUI, assault with a deadly weapon, escape from arrest, running a roadblock, attempting to elude police as well as traffic violations for failure to maintain security, failure to wear a seatbelt and failure to stop at a stop sign.

Wheeler said he is just grateful that the 13-minute pursuit did not result in any serious harm.

“I’m glad no one was injured,” he said.

Trending Video

Recommended for you