The Woodward News

July 2, 2013

Local man pleads guilty to gun, ammunition charge

Woodward News

Woodward, Okla. — Staff Reports

OKLAHOMA CITY – Timothy Dean Eike, 19, from Woodward, pled guilty recently to unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition after being involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

The plea was entered in theā€ˆfederal district court.

According to court filings and information from the plea hearings, on July 24, 2012, Eike was discovered to be in possession of a 20 gauge shotgun and a 30.06 caliber rifle, together with 97 rounds of 20 gauge ammunition and 168 rounds of 30.06 ammunition.

According to court records, Eike had been ordered to involuntary inpatient mental health treatment on Feb. 10, 2012 at the Northwest Center for Behavioral Health in Fort Supply and in April of 2012 was taken to a mental health facility in Lawton for treatment. Eike, a student at Woodward High School at the time, had reportedly talked to other students about committing suicide.

As a person who had been committed to a mental institution, Eike was a prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition under federal firearms laws, according to court information.

An investigation, however,  revealed that on July 5 and 9, 2012, Eike purchased the weapons and ammunition from a licensed firearms dealer in Woodward and falsely represented that he had never been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

On April 18, 2013, Eike was ruled competent to assist in his own defense and he was indicted by a federal grand jury on May 7.  He pled guilty on June 26. 

A sentencing date will be set by the Court in approximately 90 days. Eike faces up to 10 years in prison.

The case was investigated by the Woodward Police Department, Woodward County Sheriff’s Office, Federal Bureau of Investigation, United States Marshals Service, and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives.

Eike was arrested after a cab driver in Woodward reported concerns to the Woodward County Sheriff's office about some statements Eike had made to the driver as he took Eike to and from work.

Records indicate Eike allegedly also asked how to hide bodies, though he didn't threaten anyone in particular.

The sheriff's office contacted the FBI on July 23, 2012  and Eike was arrested the next day.