The Woodward News

Local News

October 20, 2012

Fire damages homes

Everyone was able to get out safely

Woodward, Okla. — Two homes in the 1700 block of 6th St. were damaged Friday after a fire broke out in the garage of one of the homes and then started to spread to the second structure.

Late Friday morning, Betty Eastin was sitting in a chair in her living room when she noticed "a thin wisp of smoke" float past the window outside.

Knowing something might be wrong, Eastin called to her daughter Sharon Ashlock, who went outside to investigate.

Seeing flames coming out of her neighbor's garage, Ashlock didn't hesitate to go over and make sure her elderly neighbor Thelma Shepherd made it out okay.

"She was just standing there in her kitchen.  I said 'Thelma, we got to get out of here, your house is on fire!," Ashlock said.

After helping Shepherd outside, with Shepherd's little dog "Chico" following behind, Ashlock returned to her own house to get her family out as the fire had spread to the siding of her home.  All 5 of her family members and their 2 dogs were also able to make it out safely.

"I just thank God over and over that I saw the smoke," Eastin said.  "Because we might have all lost everything."

A SCARED LITTLE GIRL

Ashlock said she told her mother Eastin to call the fire department, but it was her 9-year-old daughter Keonna Ashlock who dialed 9-1-1.

"I said, 'there is a fire next door to me and it's starting to get my house too,'" Keonna told The News.

"I was scared," Keonna said with tears in her eyes as firefighters still worked to extinguish the flames around 1 p.m. Friday.

The girl was mostly afraid that her bedroom and belongings had been destroyed by fire.  However, by 2:30 p.m. Keonna was able to return to her house and check out her bedroom and see that only minimal damage was done.

"The windows are broken out," she said.

Her mother said there was also some smoke damage in the rooms on the south side of the house.

But overall, Ashlock said the damage "doesn't look too bad, other than my 7-year-old's bedroom, where the fire tried to come in after the window was broken out.  But only the curtain was melted and there was smoke damage up the wall.  So other than that and the outside siding, I think we pretty much got out of this okay."

Ashlock said it appears that most of their possessions were left unscathed by the fire.

Text Only
Local News