Woodward, Okla. —
Director Woody Leonard has announced his nearly 50-member cast for the upcoming spring performance of "The Music Man."
The musical comedy, which is a production of the Woodward Civic Opera, is set for performances in April 2014.
Leonard said he is particularly excited about his selections for the 2 lead children's roles, with 11-year-old Clarissa Elliot playing the part of Amaryllis and 7-year-old Eli Davis playing Winthrop Paroo.
"I really think they're going to do a great job in their parts," Leonard said.
He is just as enthusiastic about the lead adult roles, which include Greg Nuse as con man Harold Hill and Misty Mihelich as Hill's love interest Marian Paroo.
As both actors and singers, he said Nuse and Mihelich "are very strong."
In addition, he said, "we have several seasoned Woodward Opera members who will be playing various other roles, so it's going to be wonderful."
But whether they are theater veterans or new to the stage, Leonard said that he is confident that his entire cast will work together to provide "a good, good show."
"The audiences will just be captivated by their performances," he said. "The whole cast has a real presence on stage."
And together with the classic songs "that everybody knows," including "'Til There Was You" and "76 Trombones," Leonard said the play will be "a real treat for audiences." He encouraged the public to make plans to attend one of the performances, which are set for April 3-5 and April 10-12, 2014.
"I know it seems a long way off, but April will be here before you know it," he said.
Leonard said the cast will begin rehearsals in January.
Below are the rest of the cast selections:
• Major roles: Lynn Kraft as Mrs. Paroo; Ron McCance as Mayor Shinn; Karen Stephenson as Eualie Shinn; Brianna Wallace as Zaneeta Shinn; Samantha Gay as Gracie Shinn; Austin Ladd as Tommy Djalis; Jason Covalt as Charlie Cowell; Dwight Terry as Constable Lock; Charlie Burns as Marcellus; and Liz Gay as Ethel Toffelmeier
• Barbershop Quartet: Cody Amparan, Shawn Denney, David Wallace, Bradon Wheelock
• Minor children's roles/ensemble: Zachary Conine, Soloman Davis, Emma Knowles, Kinley McGowen, Zane Neagle, Sawyer Zimmerman, Tyler Zwink
• Minor women's roles/ensemble: Shawna Adams, Angie Agulilera, Monica Baird, Eryn Brooks, Daci Crockett, Amy Denney, Estrella Haynie, Liz Gay, Patty McBee, Hannah McGraw, Cassidy Mudd, Rachel Nuse, Eira Pando, Jessie Pingry, Yvette Rosales, Aspen Rutledge,Crystal Simmons, Jan Smith, Micah Spena, Madison Wallace
• Minor men's roles/ensemble: Alec Camacho, Alejandro Martinez, Bryton Rutledge, Shane Standerfer, Eddie Venegas, Anthony Whalley