Woodward, Okla. —
Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma
1. Serves clients of all ages but has a grant from OEDA to put special emphasis on needs of seniors.
2. Expanding services to include mortgage foreclosure defense and housing issues.
3. Often represents grandparents who are raising children in absence or inability of parent to care for the children.
4. During one of local snowstorms, Legal Aid worked with other United Fund agencies to provide lodging and meals for a mother and her four children while their vehicle was repaired at no cost to their client.
5. Legal Aid has been identified as a navigator to help people with questions about the Affordable Care Act. Legal Aid has a full-time attorney and 2 parttime paralegals certified to be navigators.
On the fundraising side currently about $30,000 has been collected, but drive organizers said they are waiting on a number of large packets from businesses and organizations to be turned in. The goal for this year's drive is $137,500.
United Fund of Woodward provides assistance to 10 local not-for-profit agencies - Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts of Western Oklahoma, High Plains Outreach Center, Legal Aid of Oklahoma, Northwest Oklahoma Literacy Council, Panhandle Nutrition, Red Cross of Northwest Oklahoma, Salvation Army and the Woodward Senior Center.