Woodward, Okla. —
United Fund of Woodward drive members heard reports from 3 more agencies during a campaign meeting Thursday at the Red Cross office.
Agency reports were delivered by Nancy Prigmore, managing attorney for Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Cathi Myers, site manager for Panhandle Nutrition in Woodward and Jan Wills, director of the Northwest Oklahoma Literacy Council.
Here are 5 interesting facts from each agency that was part of Thursday's meeting.
1. Panhandle Nutrition provides lunch to senior center, making it a good outlet for people who may be alone and want to spend time with their peers.
2. Provides volunteer opportunities for seniors and the local community such as delivering meals to homebound seniors or helping serve meals at the senior center.
3. Provides meals outside of Woodward County as well to seniors in Arnett, Gage and Fargo
4. Anyone 60 or older is eligible for the program and those whole live in Woodward and are physically unable to come to the senior center may qualify for home delivery.
5. Menus are developed by a registered, licensed nutritionist and provide one-third of the daily recommended dietary allowances.
Northwest Oklahoma Literacy Council
1. Literacy Council has grown from 36 adult students in October 2012 to 86 this year, an increase of 139 percent. Volunteer tutors are up from 3 in October of 2012 to 11, an increase of 270 percent.
2. Eight adult learners decided to give back by cooking for the Ethnic Food Fair (Outreach Center fundraiser) this year. Each cooked their own dish from their own country, doubling the tables at the food fair to 16. They also incurred the cost of the meal themselves to "pay it forward."
3. English as a Second Language class has learners enrolled from 9 different countries.
4. Volunteering requires orientation, paperwork and demo training with a lead tutor. There is also a 6 hour training course for new tutors and some followup training.
5. The literacy council has served the area since 1985 with tutoring in 4 core programs - basic adult reading, writing and speaking instruction; English as a Second Language; GED prep; Citizenship prep.