The Woodward News

Local News

August 5, 2013

Health Dept. can help with birth records

Woodward, Okla. — You've been there. Wildly throwing pens, pencils, other items out of the drawers in your desk or the junk drawer in your kitchen because you just know that you saw your kid's birth certificate in there the other day.

But now that you need it, it's gone.

What is a person to do?

Simply request a new one as early as possible through one of 3 Oklahoma  Department of Health (ODH) Birth Record locations, ODH officials say.

Now is the best time to check whether your child or you will be needing a certified copy of a birth certificate, instead of waiting until it is mid-August, the most busy time for Oklahoma Department of Health birth record officials, said Leslea Bennett-Webb, director of DOH communications.

"We issue more than 400,000 birth and death certificates each year," Bennett-Webb said.

At present, waiting times run about 2 hours for those who travel to either of the 3 birth record locations: in Oklahoma City at 1000 N.E. 10th Street; Tulsa at the James O. Goodwin Health Center, 5051 S. 129th East Ave.; and McAlester at the Pittsburg County Health Department, 1400 East College Ave.

"On a normal, non back to school environment, we can usually issue them a certificate in about an hour," Bennett-Webb said.

There is a mail in option for those who want to avoid the trip.  However, there is a 4- to 6-week waiting period for those services, Bennett-Webb said.

The cost for a certified copy of an Oklahoma birth certificate is $15, she said.

"But we recommend that, if they have the extra $15 to spend, it might be advantageous to get a couple of copies, considering all the different places that are requiring a certified copy," Bennett-Webb said.

Often people may need a copy of their birth certificate to register for school or for employment records for certain jobs.

For those whose children were born in another state, Bennett-Webb said Oklahoma Department of Health officials can still assist them with trying to get a copy of an out-of-state or even out-of-country birth certificate.

"We can help them get the proper paperwork and help them file for those, but we can't issue those birth certificates," she said.

Those who decide to make the trip to one of the offices to obtain their copies must have with them a photo ID or a copy of a photo ID and know all the pertinent information, such as the child's full name, date of birth, the place of birth and the parent's full names, including the mother's maiden name, Bennett-Webb said.

According to Bennett-Webb, the Oklahoma Department of Health does not accept e-mailed requests, however requests can be made through the VitalChek Network, Inc. at or by phone at 877-817-7364.   There is an additional fee charged by VitalChek for this service.

Text Only
Local News
  • Enrollment dates set for schools

    With school quickly approaching, it is time to get your enrollment information in and Woodward Public Schools have set their enrollment and other key dates.

    July 30, 2014

  • Marijuana petition attracting signatures

    OKLAHOMA CITY — Medical marijuana may be the state’s newest gateway drug — to voting.

    July 30, 2014

  • Glow run scheduled in Alva

    ALVA--A popular new trend in running is coming to Woods County.

    July 30, 2014

  • Boy, 7, drowns in weekend accident

    A seven-year-old boy died over the weekend when he fell into a swimming pool at a private residence in the Wheatridge addition, according to Woodward police reports.

    July 29, 2014

  • Commission OKs grader financing

    Monday morning in their weekly meeting, Woodward County Commissioners approved the financing on a new John Deere motor grader and discussed in detail the upcoming County Officers and Deputies Association meeting the county will host this October.

    July 29, 2014

  • Deal reached to improve veterans' health care

    WASHINGTON (AP) — A bipartisan deal announced Monday would authorize about $17 billion to help veterans avoid long waits for health care, hire more doctors and nurses to treat veterans and make it easier to fire executives at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

    July 29, 2014

  • Western Plains sets school supplies drive

     As the beginning of the school year approaches, so does the need for new school supplies.

    July 29, 2014

  • Area woman recovering from West Nile

    It wasn’t too many years ago when West Nile Virus was a scary word everyone hoped never happened to them and most of the time, that was true.

    July 27, 2014

  • Dedication set for art pieces

    Woodward’s collection of public art pieces will grow by two this week.

    July 27, 2014

  • ‘Support YOUR Cause Tour’ making stop in Woodward

    A musician is looking to raise $5,000 at an upcoming local concert.
    But Scott Helmer isn't raising the money for himself.  He is hoping to collect money to help support the Woodward Arts Theatre.

    July 26, 2014