The Woodward News

January 28, 2014

Meeting to help with license renewal

Cathy Johnston
Woodward News

Woodward, Okla. — The Woodward County Extension office will hold a meeting at the county fairgrounds on Feb. 6 at 6 p.m., for those who want to obtain or renew a Private Applicator License. 

According to Dana Bay, Extension Educator-Ag, this license is needed for farmers and ranchers who plan to apply pesticides, herbicides and/or other chemicals that are designated for restricted use.

Farmers and ranchers who have an expired license or those who have never had a license, but need one, should attend the meeting, Bay said.

Attendees will pay $15 when they arrive and will be given a private applicator packet, which contains an exam and a study guide.

“We will do a presentation that night, discussing the rules and regulations and everything they need to know to be able to pass," Bay said.  "The exam for a private applicator is an open book exam.  They fill out their test and mail it to the Department of Agriculture and get their license.”

The Private Applicator License is issued by the Department of Agriculture.  According to the Oklahoma Agriculture food and forestry website, a private applicator is “any person who uses or supervises the use of any restricted use pesticide for purposes of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by the person or his employer or on the property of another person (if applied without compensation other than trading of agricultural commodities or personal services between producers). Private applicators are farmers, ranchers, growers, etc.”

A Pesticide Applicator Certification guide is available online at  For more information about the meeting call Dana Bay at 580-254-3391.