The Woodward News

October 24, 2013

Area men facing trial in federal court

Rachael Van Horn
CNHI News Service

Woodward, Okla. — Three area men are awaiting trial after being indicted by a federal grand jury in Oklahoma City.

The men were indicted and charged in an October 2012 case regarding stolen firearms and the transport of those firearms over state lines.

Federal charges were filed September 17, 2013 in the U.S. District Court, Western District of Oklahoma against Bo Bailey Ketterman of Shattuck, Gerald Lynn Houk of Canton and Eric Wayne Yelloweagle of Woodward

Houk and Ketterman were released on $10,000 and $5,000 unsecured bond, respectively. Each has a number of conditions attached to their release.

Confirmation of some records in the case were not available earlier due to the federal government shutdown.

Yelloweagle remains in custody because of possible flight risk and danger to the community, according to court documents.

According to the indictment, Ketterman, who was released September 30 to the custody of a relative of Shattuck, is charged with knowingly being in possession of a stolen firearm; Yelloweagle is charged with knowingly being in possession of a stolen firearm and Houk is charged with knowingly being in the possession of a stolen firearm and felon in possession of a firearm.

The charges stem from a case last October in which two firearms; a Spikes Tactical LLC, Model SL 15, 300 caliber rifle and a DPMS Inc., Model Panther LR-308, 308 caliber rifle, were allegedly transported across state lines, according to the indictment.

According to court documents, Yelloweagle has a jury trial set for December 3, 2013.

"We have entered a plea of not guilty and anticipate moving forward," said his attorney, Joseph L. Wells of Oklahoma City.

Houk and Ketterman are awaiting a jury trial set for November 5, 2013 in courtroom 305 in Oklahoma City.

According to Ketterman's attorney, J Patrick Quillian of Oklahoma City, an entire year has passed since the alleged incident regarding the stolen firearms.

"Bo has gotten away from the negative influences in his life," Quillian said. "We entered a plea of not guilty and the trial is set for November 5, but it may be continued. We will know more in a week or two."

A call to Houk's attorney of record, James T. Rowan, was not returned